Event and Vendor Management

Events organized by Undergraduate Registered Student Organizations should be approved by the Yale College Dean’s Office. This is especially true for large scale events, events including outside parties (vendors, performers, etc.) and events involving travel.  Once the YCDO has approved the event, the Office of Enterprise Risk Management should be contacted for risk management advice and guidance.  Graduate and Professional School student organizations should contact their Dean of Student Affairs for specific instructions.

Written contracts or agreements must be used when hiring a vendor, contractor or performer for events, or when renting/leasing equipment for an event.

  • Contracts and agreements must be reviewed by the YCDO or the Dean of Student Affairs, and by Marjorie Lemmon in the Office of Risk Management and Karen Colburn in the Office of Procurement.
  • Contracts must be signed by University Administration. Students are not authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the University.
  • Yale Security or Yale Police may be required to staff your event. When you are planning an event, please make sure you contact them for guidance.
  • Yale Fire Code Compliance Services may need to inspect your event.  Please contact Customer Service at 203-432-6888 to request a work order for an inspection.
  • Think ahead.  Please allow sufficient time for evaluation of your event and contract review and signature, or your event may not take place.

All vendors, contractors, or non-Yale partner organizations hired to provide a service for Yale must have a contract for services and provide a certificate of insurance prior to commencement of activities.  Additional information is available in the Insurance Required of Outside Parties section accessible using the menu to the right.